Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Required Reading

   I've been going back and forth about whether or not I would like to write a bunch of my own posts about these topics or whether I should just post a bunch of links. Obviously plan B won out. It's not that I'm lazy (not entirely anyway), but I am slightly busy. And while in some cases I may offer a unique perspective, there is really no reason for me to reinvent the wheel here. Most of what I would say has already been said by someone somewhere. So instead, I am providing you with a sampling of readings on topics which I find interesting and important. Before you dive in, there are a couple of quick points I'd like to make.

1. These are not the only sources of this information. We did not base our decisions off a few quirky blogs. I have put in countless (well, about two years worth) hours researching and reading about these topics for my own curiosity, my doula stuff, and planning our life with Raptor. These just happen to be some of my favorites because they sum up the topics well, provide unique insight, and/or have great links and citations for other sources.

2. Seriously, there is a ton of information out there. Go look. For real. Research everything. Look for scholarly peer reviewed sources to back it up. And for godssake, look outside the U.S., ok? European journals are great places to go.

3. Also, most of the blogs I'm pulling stuff from are pretty awesome. Seriously, check them out. They cover a lot of topics and have some really incredible perspectives.

4. Insert usual I'm-not-trying-to-be-preachy/judgmental/whatever-these-are-simply-our-choices disclaimer here.

I'll leave a comment or two for some of the articles as well as an introduction of why the topic is important to us. Otherwise you're on your own. I'll even put them in alphabetical order, all professional like.


Attachment Parenting-
     There is apparently a lot of misunderstanding about what attachment parenting is. It seems that people get caught up in different methods and forget the basic point- responding to children in an empathetic and age appropriate way in order to create caring and well adjusted individuals. Anyway, here are some good basic overviews. 


http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130107110538.htm

Babywearing
    It's not that I hate strollers; they just don't do all the amazing things my wraps do.

https://www.llli.org/nb/nbnovdec04p204.html

Breastfeeding-
     No explanation necessary.





Circumcision-
     If it's a girl, she won't be circumsized. If it's a boy, he won't be circumsized. Genital integrity, bodily automony, and basic human rights are deserved by everyone. The is no medical justification for routine infant circumcision. Not a single medical organization in the word recommends it. But don't take my work for it, read on. The more you know, the more it turns your stomach. 

This one is probably the least technical, but it is one of my favorites because it is so straight-foward.


This is another excellent piece. It systematically breaks down the most common misconceptions. This link is just the first of six parts, but the others are linked at the bottom of this one. 


Don't like reading? No problem. This video is fantastic. It's about 30 minutes long but totally worth it. 

Crying it out-
     There is a ridiculous amount of peer reviewed psychology and sociology research on this subject. 



Discipline-
     Once again, a ton of research out there on this. Violence begets violence. Period.



Gender Neutral Parenting-
      We don't want our child to be boxed in by an arbitrary label because of their genitals.

http://joeyandrox.blogspot.com/2012/12/colors-are-for-everyone-or-will-it-make.html

http://www.phdinparenting.com/2012/05/27/4-ways-parents-can-help-break-down-societys-gender-assumptions//

http://www.theconnectedmom.com/2012/02/raising-pink-boy_16.html

http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/let-him-play-with-dolls/

Infant Sleep-
     In case you are wondering why we don't have a nursery or crib. 





Vaccines

http://blindedbythelightt.blogspot.com/2013/12/a-specific-approach-to-question-why_3.html?m=1

No comments:

Post a Comment